Before we delve into the new fall season, I wanted to take a look back at some of my favorite looks from summer + the year so far. Doing so helps me assess what I already have in my closet and what I can make work as temps cool down this fall. I’m also sharing my six favorite layering pieces that will make your summer pieces work for fall.
SHOP THE POST:
For Fall: Top with a cardigan.
For Fall: Top with a denim jacket.
Confession: I’ve worn this gingham off-the-shoulder dress 3x a week all summer long (I also have it in pink) and plan to toss on a pair of jeans on underneath and keep wearing all fall long. I’m eyeing the lavender and black & white versions too.
Speaking of stripes, this striped sequin skirt was fun (and is on sale!).
Toss on a sweater and you’re ready for fall.
For Fall: Top with a cute sweater.
As mentioned here, Persifor is one of my favorite resortwear brands and I went bananas for this pineapple dress (first worn here). You can snag a dress in the pineapple print here + here on MAJOR sale for under $40 and wear it on your winter vacation to somewhere warm. I have a simple navy cashmere sweater that I will toss on top so I can also wear this fall.
Even though neutrals aren’t typically my go-to, this khaki dress worn here (sold out but similar here) ended up being one of my favorite throw-on-and-go pieces. I plan to wear it well into fall too, with a cashmere sweater on top, collar peeking out.
For Fall: Top with a cashmere sweater.
What colors, patterns and styles were you drawn to this summer? How will you make them work for fall? I’m all ears on tips + fun suggestions.
6 Pieces That Will Make Your Summer Clothes Work for Fall:
- Denim Jacket — I love my oversized denim jacket. It’s comfy + makes everything fall-ready and look a little cooler.
- Faux Faur Vest — I’m a sucker for a faux fur vest. They’re so soft and can be tossed on over dresses and tops. I have a brown one like this but might scoop up this white one too.
- Cashmere Sweater — I wear my navy cashmere sweater to death in the fall. I’ll pick up a new hue or two this season. Pink? Heather gray? Camel? Um, I also just added this Burberry cashmere sweater to my cart as it’s 50% off!
- Trench Coat — I don’t go anywhere without a jacket. If it’s not my denim jacket then it’s a trench that’s identical to this (I even wore it to visit Audrey Hepburn’s home).
- Cardigan — A cardigan is a wardrobe staple and a classic for a reason + easily makes a summer dress wearable for fall.
- Denim — Make your summer dresses work for fall by layering them over denim. My favorites for fall that look the freshest are cropped denim like this pair and this pair.
SHOP THE POST:
It’s no secret I have a thing for collecting the best pool floats. And chances are, you do too! Which is why I’m excited to share the best pool floats of the year, like watermelon pool floats!Let me know your favorite pool float!read more
Wondering where to find caftans? I've rounded up the 100 of the most fabulous caftans in all price ranges, so you can dress like you live in a Slim Aarons photo!read more
H&M has so many great pieces this spring/summer 2021. See my haul and try-on session, what I'm keeping & what you 100% need to get!read more
See previously unpublished house photos of Villa Golighly, the Modernism Week Show House in Palm Springs!read more
Wondering how to buy and own a vacation home in Palm Springs? Meet Pacaso, the modern way to buy a second home for 1/8 the price.read more