Before we delve into the new fall season, I wanted to take a look back at some of my favorite looks from summer + the year so far. Doing so helps me assess what I already have in my closet and what I can make work as temps cool down this fall. I’m also sharing my six favorite layering pieces that will make your summer pieces work for fall.
SHOP THE POST:
For Fall: Top with a cardigan.
For Fall: Top with a denim jacket.
Confession: I’ve worn this gingham off-the-shoulder dress 3x a week all summer long (I also have it in pink) and plan to toss on a pair of jeans on underneath and keep wearing all fall long. I’m eyeing the lavender and black & white versions too.
Speaking of stripes, this striped sequin skirt was fun (and is on sale!).
Toss on a sweater and you’re ready for fall.
For Fall: Top with a cute sweater.
As mentioned here, Persifor is one of my favorite resortwear brands and I went bananas for this pineapple dress (first worn here). You can snag a dress in the pineapple print here + here on MAJOR sale for under $40 and wear it on your winter vacation to somewhere warm. I have a simple navy cashmere sweater that I will toss on top so I can also wear this fall.
Even though neutrals aren’t typically my go-to, this khaki dress worn here (sold out but similar here) ended up being one of my favorite throw-on-and-go pieces. I plan to wear it well into fall too, with a cashmere sweater on top, collar peeking out.
For Fall: Top with a cashmere sweater.
What colors, patterns and styles were you drawn to this summer? How will you make them work for fall? I’m all ears on tips + fun suggestions.
6 Pieces That Will Make Your Summer Clothes Work for Fall:
- Denim Jacket — I love my oversized denim jacket. It’s comfy + makes everything fall-ready and look a little cooler.
- Faux Faur Vest — I’m a sucker for a faux fur vest. They’re so soft and can be tossed on over dresses and tops. I have a brown one like this but might scoop up this white one too.
- Cashmere Sweater — I wear my navy cashmere sweater to death in the fall. I’ll pick up a new hue or two this season. Pink? Heather gray? Camel? Um, I also just added this Burberry cashmere sweater to my cart as it’s 50% off!
- Trench Coat — I don’t go anywhere without a jacket. If it’s not my denim jacket then it’s a trench that’s identical to this (I even wore it to visit Audrey Hepburn’s home).
- Cardigan — A cardigan is a wardrobe staple and a classic for a reason + easily makes a summer dress wearable for fall.
- Denim — Make your summer dresses work for fall by layering them over denim. My favorites for fall that look the freshest are cropped denim like this pair and this pair.
SHOP THE POST:
Eep! I’m SO excited I just can’t hide it. Sharing the dining room makeover I did for the Bachelorette Pad today! Check it out + LMK what you think!read more
To celebrate the first ever National LOFTimist Day, enter to WIN a $2020 LOFT GIFT CARD! Plus, everything is 40% OFF + an EXTRA 20% OFF! So my new favorite pink pants are only $35 (normally $75)!read more
THRILLED to share photos with Frances Valentine in Palm Springs for their spring 2020 collection! SEE photos + my favorite pieces (spoiler alert: caftans!)...read more
Help us select art for the nursery! Which of these fine art photography prints by Kim Genevieve should we use in Coco's nursery?read more
Sharing the perfect pink dress for Valentine's Day + 15 more dresses that are perfect for Valentine's Day!read more