I can’t believe Christmas is on Monday and we’re wrapping up the year. What a year it has been. Thank you for being on this journey with me and making it all possible. It means more than you’ll ever know. When I think of 2017, two things pop to mind: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times… And: What doesn’t’ kill you makes you stronger. A look back + 10 things that got me back to my happy place…
The above are my Top Nine of Instagram — the photos YOU liked the most. I love how colorful and sunny it looks, and that many photos include one of our biggest highlights of the year — moving into our newly renovated Villa Golightly!
I must admit I am surprised that three of my top nine have me in them — I always think those photos do the worst, but maybe I am wrong. Ha.
BTW, you can get your Best Nine here, if you’d like.
When I look back at the year, my first thought is I am SO SO SO grateful. Grateful for feeling the complete opposite of how I did at this time last year. I was SO sick this time last year. My nerves were shot and I’d fallen apart — a complete breakdown. We had to ditch our plans to go to Texas for Christmas and holed up in a hotel room for Christmas. Every single noise was causing a panic response and I could barely get in the car to get to the hotel.
I am SO relieved, grateful and proud not to be in that space anymore.
Here are 10 things that really contributed to me getting better + that I’m so thankful for:
1) Drugs! Thank you compounded Valium and Lexapro for the helping hand. And Tirosint and compounded T3 for finally being the thyroid meds that work for me. And LDN, which I believe has helped a lot too.
2) Family. Thank you to Fred Baby, my mom, sister and Kaylee for getting me back on my feet and letting me knock all of you down to the ground during soccer and still loving me anyway. And to my brother-in-law and dad for lending your ladies to me.
3) Saying No. Saying yes is admittedly more fun than saying no (most of the time), but learning my limits, listening to my body and my mind and my heart, and determining what’s worth it and what’s not has been a huge, important lesson. Saying no or not right now has been essential. There are many BIG opportunities looming, but I’ve said not right now, but soon… And we’ll all be better off for it.
4) The Miracle Morning. Love and drugs got my head back above water, but The Miracle Morning got me back to swimming. Thank you Damsel and Sydne for sharing it. It led me to two more things that helped the most…
5) ASMR. These wackadoo videos finally allowed me to fall sleep and get my mind to rest. Which allowed me to finally ride in the car more than five miles from home. A HUGE difference.
6) Khundalini Yoga. I realize all of the above probably make me sound like a total Californian, and guess what? I’m OK with that. This form of meditation and yoga is the one that works for me.
7) YOU! Thank you for always being a safe space to share and for inspiring me every day. It keeps me going.
8) Everyone Who Helped Make Our House a Home. Every designer, many of them friends, who lent their time and talents to Villa Golightly… I’m eternally grateful that I get to live in this home you’ve created for us, and think of you every time I enter “your room.” Really, the number of times I say to someone: “Would you like to stay in the Sarah Sherman Samuel Suite or the Oh Joy! Guest Room?” makes me smile. A giant thanks to Christopher Kennedy and Chris Mobley for making it happen and I’m SO grateful that the Show House raised over $100,000 for our community!
9) Friends + Community. It was a tough year for a lot of people, many of my dearest friends included. I’m truly grateful for being able to lean on one another and for every moment we got to spend together. It’s very easy for me to shy away from seeing people when I’m not feeling well. And I know the same is true for many of you. Thanks for pushing when needed and being gentle when needed. Same with our wonderful neighbors and Palm Springs community. And a special thank you to my friends and Fred Baby’s family for helping put my Glamily Room together when I couldn’t put myself together. From assembling furniture to steaming curtains, these selfless acts meant so much.
10) ODEE! All of the above were each baby steps getting me back to some sense of normalcy. But the one thing that has gotten me back to feeling like ME and appreciating the little things — which really are the big things — is my sweet, sweet Odee girl. Oh my, has she made life BRIGHT again! It’s such a treat to be around a puppy — a new life with lots of energy — who keeps me in the present moment. On the first day of winter, she took a walk on her own four paws for the first time. She’s been very skittish about walking around the neighborhood prior and shook like a leaf (we had to carry her on walks). In the dark night, under shining stars, she finally took a step beyond our driveway and then it was off to the races. It seemed like a metaphor because I was her at this time last year– afraid to walk beyond the driveway. I was literally beaming with pride and joy as we ran up and down our cul-de-sac. And I even get excited when she wakes up in the middle of the night to go out because it means I get to hug her. I LOVE my sleep but I love her more. Last night, we stood outside at 3am gazing up at the moon and the stars together, cuddling. Okay, now I’m gushing but Odee, I love you.
I’m glad I was
desperate open-minded enough to try these things. They made a huge impact in my life. From drugs I never thought I’d need to take, to being able to ask for help which has never been easy for me, to trying new things that sound totally out there, I’m happy to have learned so much this year. And to have had Fred Baby by my side, game for it all. And to finally taking the leap to becoming puppy parents — the absolute highlight of 2017!
Thank you for letting me share.
Now, I’d love to know: What were your highlights from the year? Your top lessons learned?
PHOTOS BY FRED BABY
Be a part of our community! Sign up to join our newsletter here:
Keep in touch!
You can now shop Palm Springs style from anywhere in the world at Christopher Kennedy's online store! Check out my faves...read more
Discover Kim Genevieve art prints, a giant dose of optimism and California sunshine for your walls. Plus, a 20% off code just for Kelly Golightly readers!read more
Face masks but make it fashion… Since it seems we all will be wearing face masks for awhile, I wanted to round up face masks I thought were super stylish and cute. See all 50 +LMK which one is your fave!read more
See how this Sheridan French cockatoo-print dress looks similar to our master bedroom, featuring Florence Broadhurst cockatoo wallpaper and fabric!read more