Did you have a nice weekend, dolls? Mine was filled with movies. I was a film major, so I like to use that as an excuse to sit on my bum for 48 hours straight doing nothing but watching the boob tube or silver screen. You too? Lately, Dear Hubs and I have been watching a lot of documentaries, thanks in no small part to Joanna’s Ten Best Documentaries post and to Netflix. I’ve compiled my own Top 10 Documentaries list, with unintentional but heavy emphasis on fashion, art, architecture and entertainment. I hope you enjoy.
1. The Kid Stays in the Picture – Follows the ups and downs of the life and career of legendary Hollywood producer Robert Evans (Evans narrates). From being married to Ali MacGraw to being questioned in a murder and drug scandal, this Jay-Gatsby-esque cautionary tale fascinates, with fab photos from the ’60s to boot.
2. Tyson – Rethink everything you ever knew about the ear-biting boxer Mike Tyson.
3. The Up Series (Seven Up / 7 Plus Seven / 21 Up / 28 Up / 35 Up / 42 Up / 49 Up) – Not to scare you, but you really only have the first seven years to shape who your child will be, at least according to this doc that follows the same group of British school children from age 7 through 60+ (they’re still filming and check in every seven years!). Not scary at all…
4. My Kid Could Paint That – An inside look at the success of a four-year-old artist who’s been compared to Picasso. The only question: Did she paint those masterpieces herself?
5. Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work – Beyond the plastic, the hurts, fears and struggles of the shockingly funny comedian…and actress? (In theaters now.)
6. Valentino: The Last Emperor – An inside look at the glamorous, lavish life and love of Valentino.
7. Lagerfeld Confidential – A surprisingly lonely look at the life of the man behind Chanel.
8. Jay McCarroll: Eleven Minutes – Whatever happened to the first winner of Project Runway? Find out in this documentary that proves there’s a lot more work to be done to be a successful designer beyond winning Project Runway.
9. Herb & Dorothy – How a librarian and postal worker became the unlikely art world darlings and the largest collectors of minimalist art in the country.
10. The September Issue – Anna Wintour and Grace Coddington. What more do you need to know?
Do you have some favorite documentaries to share? Please comment below!
See how to style a white dress for the summer to fall transition!read more
Come stroll with me as we explore playground to Old Hollywood stars, The Beverly Hills Hotel!read more
Looking for pink and green home decor? Or pink and green fashion finds? Sharing my favorites, including Lettuce Ware reproductions!read more
It’s no secret I have a thing for collecting the best pool floats. And chances are, you do too! Which is why I’m excited to share the best pool floats of the year, like watermelon pool floats!Let me know your favorite pool float!read more
Wondering where to find caftans? I've rounded up the 100 of the most fabulous caftans in all price ranges, so you can dress like you live in a Slim Aarons photo!read more