The holidays are right around the corner. Gulp! So today I’m sharing 10 tips to make your guest room feel like home. Plus, see photos of our guest room spruce-up with Serena & Lily! Their bedding is 30% off today only, so now’s the time to get your place up to snuff. Check it out!
OUR GUEST ROOM REFRESH WITH SERENA & LILY
We’re super lucky to have had Sarah Sherman Samuel design our millennial pink guest bedroom. And this killer pink agate wallpaper is Sarah’s design. If you’re not familiar with Sarah, she designed Mandy Moore’s house that was on the cover of Architectural Digest last year. Like I said, we’re SUPER lucky to call Sarah a friend.
It’s been a few years since this room was completed and, with the holidays right around the corner, time for a little bedding refresh. So when Serena & Lily asked to partner up, I was totally in because I’d been eyeing their Beach Club Border collection for a while now.
And because you can’t have too much pink, I naturally went with the pink sand colorway. I think it works so well here because you have the classic, crisp white to offset all of the pink. I linked all the bedding and pillows I used above and below.
Heads up, Serena & Lily is having an up to 30% off bedding & beds sale that ends today, so if you see something you love, now’s the time to scoop it up! Especially if you are trying to get your guest room and home ready for guests this holiday season.
Speaking of, I wanted to share my tips for getting your home guest ready!
You want a clean, cozy, welcoming space, so that your guests can feel at home. Here are a few things to help you achieve that.
10 Tips to Make Your Guest Room Feel Like Home
2. Have a variety of pillows. Some people like a flat pillow, some like sleeping with three fluffy pillows. It’s nice to offer your guests options.
3. A blanket or quilt ensures that your guests won’t get cold. You can see the pink sand Sutter Quilt peeking out in the photos above. Alternatively, you can lay it on top of the duvet at the foot of the bed or use a throw blanket.
4. Fresh flowers make it seem like you really went the extra mile. Be careful though to choose flowers that don’t have much of a scent — I know I’m allergy-prone, but have found that carnations are wonderfully scent-free, as were these white roses.
5. Have a carafe of water with a few glasses and/or coffee mugs and a coffee machine in the room. Not only will your guests feel like they’re at home, they’ll feel like they’re at a nice bed and breakfast (hello, Monica Gellar!).
6. To make you guest room feel like home, a luggage rack or two is a nice touch so guests have a place to put their suitcases.
7. Speaking of, if your room doesn’t have a closet (ours actually doesn’t), bring in a rolling rack with plenty of hangers, so guests have a place to hang their clothes. A hamper or basket for dirty laundry is a nice touch too.
8. If you have a dresser in the room, make sure you empty at least a few of the drawers, so that guests have the option to put their clothes away.
9. Don’t forget about the bathroom! Make sure you provide nice towels and washcloths, as well as a bath mat. These towels are SO soft and cozy and remind me of the Beverly Hills Hotel. Also, provide shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothbrushes and toothpaste, in case your guests forgot to bring their own. And plenty of toilet paper. There’s nothing worse than having to ask for more.
10. Finally, make sure both rooms are clean and clutter-free. There’s nothing worse than having to stay the night in a dusty room that doesn’t look like it’s been used in ages. And let’s not even imagine a dirty bathroom. Clean is the name of the game!
DO YOU HAVE ANY TIPS?
Did I forget anything? What makes you feel welcome when you visit someone’s home? Have any tips you’d like to add? Let me know in the comments!
p.s. I also couldn’t resit this white Ojai Mirror for our master bathroom. There was an empty space between these two bow sconces and this mirror fit perfectly. Now, to find a vanity to go below it…
PHOTOS by FRED MOSER
SHOP THE POST
GET THE LOOK
See previously unpublished house photos of Villa Golighly, the Modernism Week Show House in Palm Springs!read more
Wondering how to buy and own a vacation home in Palm Springs? Meet Pacaso, the modern way to buy a second home for 1/8 the price.read more
See where to get the I’m a Luxury Few Can Afford sweater worn by Princess Diana. Plus, where to get a more affordable version!read more
Wondering how to plan a staycation? Check out these 6 Tips for Staycationing in Style, plus see how to style this tropical print jumpsuit!read more
Looking for cute midi dresses and skirts for Spring 2021? I've rounded up my favorite midi dresses, skirts & matcing tops here!read more