Last week I shared 6 Spots to See the Super Bloom in Southern California. I’m excited to report that we made our first visit to the Lake Elsinore Walker Canyon poppy fields this weekend! Check out our photos below. Plus, I’m sharing tips on the best way to see the poppy fields, when to see the super bloom + how to get the best super bloom photos!
Want sunshine + style in your inbox? Join our colorful community:
Aren’t they magnificent?
And doesn’t it look like we had the poppy fields all to ourselves?
Nothing could be further from the truth.
We went on a Sunday afternoon, hoping that because the weather was cloudy, maybe not that many people would be there.
The line to exit the highway to Walker Canyon was a mile long, and then it looked like you had another long wait to be able to actually get to the fields and park.
HOW TO SEE THE POPPY FIELDS WITHOUT A MILLION OTHER PEOPLE
So, instead, we drove about a mile north on the highway and then exited and drove back south towards Walker Canyon. While these weren’t the actual Walker Canyon poppy fields (i.e. where all of the cars + people were) they were Walker Canyon adjacent. 😉
If you find yourself if the same situation, I say do this. There were still plenty of people where we were but we were able to park right away, and walk right up and enjoy the flowers and snap some photos.
Speaking of photos, here’s how to get the best photos of the flower fields…
HOW TO GET THE BEST SUPER BLOOM PHOTOS
1. Wear a contrasting color or a matching color. They make for the most impactful photos.
2. Have your photographer get down low to take your photo. It will make it seem like you are surrounded by a sea of flowers (which you are).
3. While we used our professional Canon camera and a flash, many of these photos were ones I shot on my iPhone. Portrait mode is your friend.
4. Stay on the trails + if you go off, tread lightly as not to crush the flowers. The photo you see of me seemingly standing in/on the flowers is actually an area where the grass was already smooshed due to people walking on it.
But here’s a pro tip: If you want to make your photos look full around you, without actually damaging the flowers, use the app Touch Retouch or A Color Story and use the clone tool to fill in the empty area(s). That way your photos look great without you damaging the beauty of mother nature. You can also use Touch Retouch to remove people from your photos. 😉
HOW NOT TO BE A PRICK
- Don’t pick the flowers. I’m pretty sure it’s illegal but we saw so many people unabashedly picking the pretty flowers.
2. Dogs are allowed but keep them close, so they don’t crush the flowers either. Rumor has it rattlesnakes like the poppy fields (at least the ones in Antelope Valley), so that’s another reason to keep your fur baby on a short leash.
3. Don’t walk ON the flowers.
4. Don’t photobomb someone else’s photos. Wait your turn and be kind and patient.
BEFORE YOU GO
1. Check the weather before you go. It was a lot cooler than we expected, so this coat with comfy cozy joggers and a sweater underneath was perfect. Dress so you can enjoy the experience.
2. Poppies love the sun — that’s when they open — so if it’s rainy or cloudy, know that they might not be open. We actually went on a cloudy day, but they were still beautiful.
3. You can check this website for current Super Bloom information in California.
I hope this post was helpful!
If you’ve visited the poppy fields, I’d love to hear about your experience. And if you have any tips, please share in the comments xo!
PHOTOS by FRED MOSER
YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY
SHOP THE POST
GET THE LOOK
Sign up for sunshine + style in your inbox:
Keep in touch!
See previously unpublished house photos of Villa Golighly, the Modernism Week Show House in Palm Springs!read more
Wondering how to buy and own a vacation home in Palm Springs? Meet Pacaso, the modern way to buy a second home for 1/8 the price.read more
See where to get the I’m a Luxury Few Can Afford sweater worn by Princess Diana. Plus, where to get a more affordable version!read more
Wondering how to plan a staycation? Check out these 6 Tips for Staycationing in Style, plus see how to style this tropical print jumpsuit!read more
Looking for cute midi dresses and skirts for Spring 2021? I've rounded up my favorite midi dresses, skirts & matcing tops here!read more